A New Dawn at Durham University Hockey Club
(17 June 2015)
Durham University Hockey Club achieve a first as four of Durham's women's hockey team, along with Head Coach Gareth Weaver-Tyler, represent England at U21 level against Germany.
Having worked with a supreme hockey coach, Gavin Featherstone, for over 8 years and seen some amazing athletes been developed into international players, I was lucky enough to go down to Bisham Abby to see the most recent crop of young DUHC international hockey players play for England.
Four DUHC women were due to turn out for England U21 v Germany U21 along with new DUHC head coach, Gareth Weaver-Tyler: the England U21 assistant coach as well. Although the results did not go well for England it was great to see our four new international athletes at Bisham playing some excellent hockey. Unfortunately the Durham Women’s 1s captain, Molly Rawnsley, picked up an injury and was forlornly sitting on the bench, but the other three DUHC played in both of the games. Juliette Inverdale played in defence and was her usual uncompromising self, Pippa Lewis played in midfield and created an England goal with an amazing 3D baseline dribble and Laura Bevan also scored a goal and created another playing up front. The matches were played in glorious sunshine down at Bisham and it was great to talk to the players’ parents during the two days who I was able to thank on behalf of DUHC and, I am sure, the individual athletes for their continued commitment and support. It was also fantastic to see DUHC alumni Steph Elliot training at Bisham on Tuesday with her GB colleagues, highlighting what can be achieved through hard work and being a part of Durham University Hockey Club.
This new era for the club, having the DUHC head coach involved in the England coaching programme, will I am sure lead to other players gaining international representation, and although we have had other U21 squad players and full international players in the past to have four at the same time is a club first. Gareth has been recruiting well for next season and I know he and the rest of the girls are looking forward to next season.
- RT @DUSwimTeam: All of DUSC are routing for @danigilbert_98 in the Commonwealth Games trials today! Go Dani! @TeamDurham
- RT @DurhamPsych: Kasey Philyaw in action explaining her #PhD research on motivation in athletes at yesterdays #dsepconf…
- RT @BUCSsport: ????| On day 2 of #12DaysOfBUCSmas we take a look at who is the current star on top of the BUCS tree ⭐️ 1⃣@LboroSport…
- Last @DURFC game of the season tomorrow! Durham 3s v Lufbra 3s, 1pm, rubber crumb #bleedpalatinate
- @DurhamSaints join our other teams at the top of BUCS Premier Leagues. Full story: https://t.co/lMCsb0ecjw
- RT @DU_FootballHub: Lots of great work done to engage the community so far this term???????? Looking forward to pushing on in 2018…
- @DurhamSaints top the table with a 34-24 victory over a strong Leeds Beckett team #bleedpalatinate
- Half term report for @duwafc1 & @DUAFC points to an exciting 2018! https://t.co/zIZFMBLjyY
- RT @FAWSL: Wrap up warm, everyone! ???? https://t.co/llxtpUzEoL