Lacrosse: Durham Very Well Represented @ 2017 Women's World Cup
(10 September 2017)
Given the fact that the 2017 Women’s Lacrosse World Cup was in England it was always highly likely that those with an association to Durham University would have some involvement. However, few from outside the sport would have anticipated that Durham would have had such a meaningful, and broad, impact upon proceedings.
On the playing side 2017 graduate Emma Adams and 2015 graduate Isobel McNab helped to lead England to a bronze medal, their highest finish since 2005. Team England defeated Australia in overtime to secure the bronze medal and, in doing so, recorded their first win over Australia in World Cup competition since 1993.
The Palatinates were also well represented amongst the rest of the competing Home Nations. 2017 graduates Amy Graham and Emma Wauchope were part of the Scottish squad who secured their highest finish in over 25 years, ultimately ending up in fifth place. Elsewhere current student Iona Dryden (College of St Hild & St Bede) starred for Wales alongside 2014 graduate LouLou Rowlands (College of St Hild & St Bede) as the Welsh finished in 7th position.
There was also a Durham influence on the coaching teams with 2016 graduate Shelby Davis (Ustinov College) leading the German squad to a 14th place finish whilst Lauren Goerz (Ustinov College), who graduated at the same time as Shelby, was Assistant Coach to the Scottish squad. Durham’s contribution did not end there….
World Cup Event Management & Production
1994/95 DUAU President, James Kennedy (Hatfield College), who now runs Event and Tour Management Company, Sweet Chariot, oversaw much of the event co-ordination with his staff which included an international festival involving over 70 teams across 6 different age groups whilst 2014 graduate Alex Aljoe, who now works for Real Madrid TV, provided day to day correspondence for the BBC.
- #regatta The women take silver in the Women’s Beginner 4x and the Men take silver in the Beginner 8!
- #regatta Durham take silver in the Men’s Championship 4- and the Women’s Championship Lightweight 4-!
- #regatta It’s silver for Durham in the Men’s Beginner 4x and 4th in the Men’s Beginner 4+
- #regatta Durham secure gold in the Women’s Championship 2-. Congratulations to the girls and the coaching team!
- @DUVolleyball win the first leg of the Super Eights play-off finals 3-0 v Team Northumbria! Second leg coming up to… https://t.co/g2ywan6S57
- @castlejcr celebrating being the first ever Lacrosse Floodlit Cup Champions #Congratulations… https://t.co/ZjgMZeKoEt
- The final whistle goes and @castlejcr are victorious 3-2 over @Greyt_Sport . Great finish to the College Lacrosse S… https://t.co/V0a6PC4ayx
- @castlejcr with some beautiful play down the field and they get the goal. It’s 3-2 against @Greyt_Sport in the Lacrosse #floodlitcupfinal
- @Greyt_Sport with an immediate return shot but again outside the circle and it’s a no score #gettingtense… https://t.co/j2XOc3dKLj